These vegan ginger cookies are soft and chewy with chunks of delicious stem ginger. They’re much softer and easier to make than gingerbread, and I love eating these all year round.
The fabulous flavour comes from a combination of ground and stem ginger. Bake a batch of vegan cookies for snacks, lunch boxes and dairy free desserts.
Notes on ingredients
- Stem ginger: this is root ginger that has been peeled and slowly cooked in syrup. Finely diced, stem ginger is fantastic in cakes and cookies. It’s not essential in this recipe and I’ve listed it as ‘optional’, but it’s highly recommended!
If you’re making gingerbread then you’ll often need to use a rolling pin. There’s no need to use one here though, simply roll the dough into balls with your hands.
Store your leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter top for up to 5 days.
Chewy Vegan Ginger Cookies
- 200 g (1 ½ cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 100 g (½ cups) vegan butter or margarine softened
- 75 g (¾ cups) stem ginger (about 4 or 5 balls) finely chopped
- 100 g (½ cups) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk I like oat milk
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the vegan butter and rub it into the mixture with your fingertips or a fork until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the chopped stem ginger and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk into the agave syrup and then add it to the mixture and stir well to form a cookie dough.
- Roll into 10 balls and place on a greased or lined baking tray, allowing room for them to spread.
- Flatten the balls slightly and place on your prepared baking tray.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or cold.
- When the cookies have cooled completely, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- I like using oat milk, but substitute for almond milk or soy milk if you prefer.
- Substitute agave syrup for maple syrup if you prefer.
- Substitute brown sugar for coconut sugar if you like.